Google live search can give terrible examples of discrimination and prejudices. That is what happens with Romanians too. The hate and prejudices towards the people of Romania are well known.
Agency McCann Erickson Romania made a campaign about this for ROM, the famous Romanian chocolate bar. A remarkable initiative from a commercial brand.
I just tried it myself started typing Romanians are ... It is exactly like the image above. It is based on search history. The idea behind the campaign is to change this with enormous amount of positives searches with “Romanians are smart”. These searches can also be done at the campaign website in many languages.
At this moment already over 150,000 positive searches are done.
The campaign has started last week in Romania generating an unprecedented grassroots movement, with bloggers and public personalities adopting the campaign theme and generating hundreds of blog posts that support the cause and come up with examples of “smart Romanians”.
I love this approach. It is positive action powered by a commercial brand. I’m curious how successful this would be when done by a NGO or protest group.
Gabriela Munteanu, Marketing Manager at Kandia Dulce (ROM): “ROM is a profoundly Romanian brand, that forces us to take a stance when we see Romania is the victim of some serious prejudgement. That is why we decided to assume a cause that honors us: to fight for Romanians’ image. Romanians image over the internet, the image of Romanians about themselves, the image of Romanians abroad. The campaign “Romanians are smart” is continuing the effort launched through “New ROM” campaign, aiming to reinvigorate the national pride.”
Related posts, campaigns from Romania, with some real beauties:
- Ceausescu, Hitler and Bush for Anima Pro, a Romanian association for lost animals: A dog loves you the way you are
- MindBomb for Rosia Montana: Goldlicker
- Interesting artwork for the Consiliul National Roman pentru Refugiati (CNRR), the Romanian national Council for Refugees: Get involved
- Strange tv-spot from the Romanian governement about corruption: Corruption is everywhere
- Great visuals from the Romanian Red Cross: Flood victims need your clothes
- Two ads from the Romanian Bridge of Hope Foundation, Fundatia Podul Sperantei: Wipe yourself out
- Flipbook video from Greenpeace Romania: Every piece of paper matters
- Two ads from WWF Romania: Nature Can’t Be Recycled
- Two video’s from Coalitia Romania Fara Cianuri!, the Coalition for a Cyanide Free Romania
- Discussable ad from Greenpeace Romania: Imagine 9/11
- About discrimination against gypsy minority from Romania: Know them before you judge them
- World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Romania: Climate changes slow
- Romanian Agenţia Naţională Antidrog (National Anti-drug Agency): Changes in perception
- Greenpeace Romania: If you give 1 to us, there will be nothing for them
- Eco Romania: Use responsibly
- Romanian Police: How fsat can you read this sentence?
- Photo project from Bogdan Meseşan: New ID
- World Aids Day: Aids doesn’t show
- Romanian Traffic Police: Interactive Cell Phone Car Crash Accident
McCann Erickson Romania