I spotted this strange ad on the bus this morning. While I can understand the parallel of problem gambling with other kinds of “risky” behaviour, the condom package seemed like a very lazy bit of borrowed interest.
The safeorsorry.ca campaign site continues the condom theme.
This campaign could only be conceived in Ontario, where gambling and gaming are regulated (and often run) by government, and casinos aren’t associated with prostitution so much as retirees.
If you’re curious what the gambling equivalent of safe sex is, the campaign gives these six tips:
1. Don’t think of gambling as a way to make money.
2. Always gamble with money that you can afford to lose.
3. Set time and money limits.
4. Never chase your losses.
5. Don’t gamble when you’re depressed or upset.
6. Gambling and alcohol are not a good combination.
I am very doubtful that any of this will help a gambling addict avoid trouble. There has to be a better way.
Responsible Gambling Council